Brief Chronicle of the Castle History
Ernst Ferdinand von Knoch (Chamberlain of Augustus the Strong) purchased Rammenau Manor from the von Seydewitz family that had gone bankrupt.
Start of building the palace and garden anew in the style of the Baroque. (The estate was largely completed by 1737) Its planning was probably designed by Johann Christoph Knoeffel.
Ernst Ferdinand von Knoch fled from Rammenau (reason: construction cost too high, excessive indebtedness, bankruptcy). Was excluded from nobility. The partially incomplete palace was auctioned to the von Hoffmann family that completed construction, especially the two Cavaliers’ Houses and the interior of rooms.
The von Hoffmann family was raised to nobility by Emperor Josef II (von Habsburg), to the rank of Imperial Counts, and henceforth called themselves »von Hoffmannsegg«.
Johann Centurius von Hoffmannsegg (botanist and entomologist, publisher of the »Flore Portugaise«) was issued the hereditary certificate for Rammenau Manor.
Johann Centurius von Hoffmannsegg sold the estate for 100,000 Thalers to his brother-in-law Friedrich von Kleist (a Prussian cavalry captain). Structural changes to several rooms in the style of Neoclassicism – redesign of the symmetrical gardens into an English-style landscape park.
On 28 January 1820, Johann Centurius Graf von Hoffmannsegg repurchased Rammenau Manor for 66,000 Thalers from Friedrich von Kleist, shortly before the latter died. In 1879, the von Hoffmannsegg family sold the estate for 480,000 Reichsmarks to Hans Curt Christoph Ernst von Posern (Royal Chamberlain and Bailiff at St. Marienstern Abbey).
After her mother’s death, Margarete Gisela Gabriele Alexandra von Helldorff, née von Posern, took over Baroque Castle Rammenau, which was also used as a military hospital during the First World War.
Castle seized by the Red Army – expropriation of the von Helldorffs as a result of the Land Reform in the Soviet Occupation Zone.
Use of the rooms on the premises for schooling purposes and as a summer studio for the Dresden Academy of Fine Arts – a countryside studying resort until 1962.
Opening of the Historical Museum accommodated in the castle – the previous Fichte exhibition (since 1962) became enlarged by a section on the castle history – in summer 1968: the castle restaurant was opened – use of the Mirror Room to perform public concerts.
The entire Rammenau estate (castle, park and farmyard) became property of the Free State of Saxony and was turned into a castle entity operated by the state.
Rammenau Baroque Castle
Am Schloss 4 | 01877 Rammenau
+49 (0) 3594 703559
April to October
- daily: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
November to March
- Wed - Mon: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Tue: closed
- Dec 24, and Dec 27 to Jan 8: closed
Subject to modifications.
- Full rate 5,00 EUR
- Reduced rate 2,50 EUR
- Full rate: EUR 5.00
- Reduced rate: EUR 2.50
- 2 adults and up to 4 children: EUR 10.00
- 1 adult and up to 2 children: EUR 5.00
- Group rate (15 people and more): EUR 4.00 per person
- Group rate for pupils: EUR 2.00 per person
- EUR 2.00
- Children aged 5 or younger
- People visiting the castle on their birthday
- Accompanying adults of severly disabled people (entry »B« iin the disability pass)
- Tour guides
- Tour bus drivers accompanying a tour group
- 1 accompanying adult per 10 pupils
- Journalists for reporting purposes (valid identification required)
- Holders of the schloesserlandPASS
Subject to modifications.